Monday 22 February 2010

Eventually


A day of pottering around comprised an afternoon visit to Inner Marsh Farm suspended between dawn and dusk visits to a couple of local patches with my dog

For her morning constitutional, I took Becks to Hockenall Platts near Stapleford. Bathed in sunshine, the trees and hedgerows up towards the farm were the platform for a handful of singing Chaffinch, but these were far eclipsed by an encounter with my first singing Yellowhammer of the spring.

The arable fields were bustling with hundreds of Redwing and Fieldfare, but loud ‘kronking’ prompted me to scan the skies for Raven and to my amazement there were two pairs drifting over, with one pair appearing to be displaying to each other.

Inner Marsh Farm had had yet another visit from Jack Frost with only the margins of number one and two pools unfrozen. These sections were occupied by a couple of hundred or so of both Teal and Wigeon, but soon a raptor soon flew into view from above the hide, flushed the ducks, and then headed for the trees.

At first I though it was a Buzzard, but when it banked left revealing little under-wing colouration and a nice cream-capped bonce, I realised I had eventually managed to catch up with the wintering adult female Marsh Harrier.

As is the case with many of the Marsh Harriers that visit this reserve, it seemed to ignore the reeds and wet meadow area and make a beeline straight for the wood?

The Pinks are still in residence with at least five hundred birds today, but there could well have been more out of view. Unfortunately, some diddy had decided to walk along the metalled track that passes in front of the barn and then incredulously into the wet meadow area. Not surprisingly this flushed most of the Pinkies and disappointingly the woman appeared to be carrying binoculars.

With Becks successfully lobbying for walk number two, I popped down to the Gowy Meadows late in the evening. Predictably it was fairly quiet, but it was a delight to find two pairs of Stonechats near the river. It seems almost miraculous that these small insectivores have survived such a harsh winter – hats off, I say!

Until later.
Note: I have just realised that I had selected the 'Registered Users Only' criteria for the 'Post A Comment' icon, making it difficult to make a posting. I have changed this now, so from the drop-down box, choose 'Anonymous' and then anybody can post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul
    Stonechats are mightily thin on the ground lately,even on my 'Patch' at Shotton Pools,which is a 'Ringer' for them,I haven't managed one for several weeks now.
    Another interesting thing I discovered,was that during the coldest spell of weather we've been having,all the Goldcrests in Chester disappeared completely,and it was starting to appear that the weather had well and truly put paid to them,and then completely out of the Blue,I recorded 9 of them in various locations around the City,all in one day,as if the entire local population had relocated elsewhere, and then returned when the worst was over,but where did they go,because lets face it,the entire UK has been frozen over.
    I took a trip to Connah's Quay NR,and as usual there were birds everywhere,I didn't pick up anything special,with a Spotted Redshank,and a Greenshank on the Bunded Pools being the pick of the 51 Species recorded.

    Shotton Pools Nature Reserve
    'The Patch' - 62 Species in 2010.
    Chester 'City Only' - 82 Species in 2010.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denzil,

    Burton Marsh appears to be the only area with a reasonable number of Stonechats, the only other place I have seen one is a single at Fenn's Moss.

    Goldcrests on the other hand seem to be around if I make a bit of extra effort to try and find them. Garth Wood, Fenn's Moss, Delamere Forest, Coed y Cra and Marford Quarry have all held birds, but I have not seen one near Chester since one in my back garden last winter!

    Interesting to note some local movements though - I wonder if they concentrate on just wooded areas when the weather is really harsh?

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete