Thursday 27 January 2011

Clocking-in.

Whilst grappling with the almost incomprehensible language of drug nomenclature, I occasionally stare blankly out of the window in the direction of Bolton town hall.

A few weeks ago I was discussing with a colleague the potential the tower had for a pair of breeding Peregrines and sure enough on Thursday, a fellow workmate, Rob, brought me the news that a male and a female had been spotted in the vicinity.

After five or so minutes of searching through the sombre winter sky above Bolton, the lithe and streamlined silhouette of a male Peregrine zoomed into view, took a pop at a passing feral pigeon, before disappearing into the ether in an ever-tightening circle.

With the risk of sounding trite, it truly is wonderful to see one of nature’s grand designs from the warmth of my office. Hopefully over the next couple of months I will be treated to some entertainment as the birds display and chase down prey.

What a boon in the form of a welcome sign that spring is just around the corner.

Until later.

1 comment:

  1. It goes without saying that it is encouraging to see two of these birds back at Bolton town hall. According to one of the Mancherster birding forums I click through, the female peregrine was lost last year and so a new pair should mean that they plan to rear their young there this Spring.
    I just hope I'm lucky enough to see a few more twists and turns as they chase the pigeons before I leave work, and Bolton, in March!
    All the best mate

    ReplyDelete