Sunday 10 April 2011

One thing leads to another...


My birding session started late today following a stupid-o-clock trip to a local car boot sale that didn't wrap-up 'til noon

I eventually arrived at Shotton Pools NR late afternoon - just as a few stragglers from the Mersey Ringing Group were about to vamonos.

They had had a good day: a pair of Little Ringed Plovers, a Common Sandpiper and a few Reed Warblers; however, what really made my ears prick-up was a Dotterel they had picked-up flying over towards the east not long ago!

A cursory and half-hearted sweep of the reserve failed to find anything of interest and with the many Reed Warblers' feeble attempts at singing confined to the deeper recesses of the phragmites beds, I opted to go on a wild Dotterel chase.

Surely the freshly ploughed furrows of Shotwick Fields would prove irresistible to the montane wader and when I found such an area near Shotwick village the hunt was on.

Except it wasn't. The tilled enclosure was irresistible to migrants, but migrant Wheatears, not Dotterel.

Still, I now found myself next to a lovely section of meadowland and the faint sound of a distant singing Yellowhammer lured me into a spot of trespassing.

After climbing a fence I nearly trod on a pair of Grey Partridge. Spooked, they flew off to the security of the thicker grass towards the top of the field. Becalmed, they showed really well through the scope.

It was at this point I started to wonder what country I was in. Grey Partridge is a sought after Flintshire bird for me, but a quick glance at the map confirmed the worst - I was literally feet over the border into England - bugger!!

A glorious evening was finished off with an hour's stint viewing Burton Marsh from Cop Hole. Surprisingly, three Shorties were still hanging around, but bird of the day was a stunning young male (2cy) Hen Harrier.

Unlike the Partridges it did not disgrace itself and hunted well over the border into Flintshire. Number 123 for the year...only 77 to go...

Shotton Pools NR 10.4.11

2 Lapwing
1 Oystercatcher
5 Reed Warbler (heard)
1 Water Rail (heard)

Shotwick Fields

2+ Grey Partridge
1 Yellowhammer
2 Lapwing
4 Wheatear

Burton Marsh

1 Hen Harrier (prob 2cy male)
3 Short-eared Owl
2 Wheatear

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment