Thursday 22 July 2010

A month is a long time in birding...

Well it all seems to have been happening whilst I was away on my jollies.

Unsavoury shenanigans at Shotton NR, rumours of some work actually being carried out at Inner Marsh Holiday Camp and last but by no means least, evidence that the RSPB has not forgotten about the Point of Ayr as they have actually erected a sign pointing to the bird hide.

Naturally, there is no evidence of the 'Cuddfa', but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Not much else doing at the POA, but a couple of Common Sandpipers milling around the small area of marsh behind the colliery site was good, plus there were plenty of Little Egrets bozzing about between the various channels.

Connahs Quay was a little better with the same number of Common Sands, plus the first late summer flush of returning waders: Greenshank, plus good numbers of Redshank and Dunlin were present to augment the over-summering Blackwits.

Until later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, I also noticed the new sign at POA when I was down there a couple of weeks ago.
    I had a Med Gull in with the Blackheads - my first for this site.
    See you in the hide, one day.
    Mark M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul
    It's 43 years ago since I fell in love with this place,and only 1 thing has changed here in all that time.....and that is that it is now managed by the RSPB.
    I'm now 50 years of age,and I may as well have still been 7,because the Jets flew from the moment I arrived,and then up until the moment I left,which was a very emotional reminder of my childhood here,the place was alive with Butterflies and Moths of all descriptions,and there were also Dragonflies in abundance.
    Adders are a regular site here still,and Oh!,I nearly forgot,the birds are still out in force as well,and completely left alone to breed in safety,thanks to the RSPB and their total sensivity towards their needs and welfare,by very cleverly leaving the Reserve completely undeveloped,purely and simply because it isn't needed.
    If there was ever a reason why I will always support the RSPB,for as long as I have a hole in my Belly Button,today was it.

    LLYN PENRHYN - LLYN TRAFFWLL -
    LLYN DINAM
    VALLEY - ANGLESEY
    23-07-2010
    8.30AM - 4.00PM
    64 SPECIES RECORDED

    GREYLAG GOOSE c1300
    CANADA GOOSE c600
    TUFTED DUCK c200
    COOT c200
    HOUSE MARTIN c100
    LAPWING c100
    STARLING c50
    MALLARD c50
    HOUSE SPARROW c50
    MEADOW PIPIT c30
    SWALLOW c30
    SAND MARTIN c20
    LINNET c20
    SEDGE WARBLER 14
    MUTE SWAN 12
    CORMORANT 12
    REED WARBLER 12
    GADWALL 9
    GREAT CRESTED GREBE 8
    BARNACLE GOOSE 7
    LITTLE GREBE 6
    WILLOW WARBLER 6
    GREY HERON 6
    CHIFFCHAFF 6
    CETTI'S WARBLER 5
    COMMON WHITETHROAT 5
    REED BUNTING 5
    OYSTERCATCHER 5
    COMMON BUZZARD 4
    KESTREL 2
    SKYLARK 2
    BLACKCAP 2
    PIED WAGTAIL 2
    GRASSHOPPER WARBLER 1
    STONECHAT 1
    RAVEN 1
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 1
    SPARROWHAWK 1
    KINGFISHER - 1st Year 1
    COMMON JAY -( AT LLYN PENRHYN !!!!!) - 1
    A 'LIFER' FOR ME THERE !!!

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete