Wednesday 7 September 2011

Where were you?

With the strong winds entering a third day, the lure of a seawatch at the Point of Ayr was just too strong.

Given that I am still without motorised transport, it was time for the bicycle to make an appearance and after forty five minutes free-wheeling downhill I was ensconced in the dunes by first light.

Initial signs were encouraging: many Terns, Manxies and Gannets were battling against the strong westerly wind. The Manxies in particular were visibly jaded, with most of the birds unusually lethargic – the last few days had obviously drained them of energy.

With so many seabirds passing by it was surely a matter of time before a Skua or a Petrel made an appearance, but two and a half hours later I was still waiting.

I was about to call time when I picked up a gull just behind the Dee Light. I was hard to be one hundred percent due to the distance, but it looked good for a juvenile Sabine’s Gull, but without conclusive views, a young Kittiwake could not be ruled out. Ho Hum.

After loading up the panniers, I headed over the site of the old hide (now sadly looking very overgrown), for a quick scan of the marsh.

The tide was a good way out, so the waders were scattered far and wide. Still a Whimbrel was good and a flyby Kingfisher a welcome boon before the long slog back to Lloc…

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment