Friday 2 December 2011

Inclement


I’ve been out on a couple of birding expeditions this week – a walk from home at Lloc to Prestatyn and a hobble around Greenfield Valley and Dock.

Let’s start at the beginning.

On Tuesday I set off in warm sunshine and a steady breeze and so it was until I neared the Point of Ayr when the skies darkened somewhat, blackened and then moved into a new level of lightless murk hitherto unknown to Man.

Cue monsoon and gale force winds. Fortunately – or so I thought – there was a Hawthorn tree thicker than your average Wag, so I hunkered down leeward side and waited for the deluge to pass – except it didn’t.

Forty-five minutes later I was sodden and with the prospect of three more hours of walking to go I was not a happy camper.

It was a pity really, because things had started well: a Marsh Tit in Garth Wood and a quintet of Brent Geese near Mostyn were unexpected.

When I squelched up at the Point of Ayr there was pandemonium as the waders and wildfowl had been caught with their pants down so to speak.

The combination of the lashing wind and low pressure had caused the tide to cover the marsh in a spectacle reminiscent of a good ten metre effort.

With my bins not in the best of shape and myself not entirely won over to the idea of catching hyperthermia I was in no mood to enjoy the commotion, but there were excellent numbers of birds – particularly Pintail.

Leaving the marsh I headed for the shoreline to undertake a Snow Bunting/Shore Lark hunt, but was surprised to see the waves hammering into the dunes. Not being particularly partial to drowning, I walked along the tops of the dunes until the tide had ebbed.

Alas, not much to report. I’ve not seen any Snow Buntings at Talacre this year and indeed I only had one passage individual last winter. I’m not sure why this is, but I have noticed a distinct lack of a strandline along most of beach…lack of food?

After a day’s convalescence, I was still in the painful throws of severe chafing, but nonetheless decided a trip to Greenfield was in order.

Hobbling long like John Wayne did have its advantages – I was able to pay a little more attention to any arboreal action as I shuffled along.

Plenty of mixed flogs of foraging passerines around, although ‘mixed’ is pushing it a little – the three major groups I located were dominated with Blue and Great Tits with the odd Goldcrest, Nuthatch or Coal Tit thrown in.

I had hoped for a Yellow-browed Warbler, Firecrest or Lesser Spot – fat chance.

Still, a Dipper was a good find as was a Grey Wagtail, both earning a crust on the stream at the bottom of the Valley. This made up a little for the distinct lack of birds on any of the pools, that quite frankly were pony.

Until later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul
    5 Brent Geese is a good find,and Marsh Tits are always a welcome sight too.
    To be honest with you,I've never found the Pools in the Heritage Park to hold very much,although apparently 1 or 2 good birds have turned up there over the years.
    I'm not picking up any exciting birds at all at the moment,despite putting in a lot of hours in out in the field,and although the Glossy Ibis at Burton Mere Wetlands was a nice bird to add to my list,I never find it very rewarding when I know that a bird is already present,and I'm just waiting around for it to hopefully appear.......which in the end it thankfully did !
    I paid a visit to Hatton's Hey Nature Reserve today,which was uneventful by it's own high standards,with 5 Goldcrest,5 Buzzard,4 Shoveler,7 Teal and 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker being the best of a pretty average bunch.
    It can't be too much fun being without any transport,but you must now be as fit as a greyhound..........albeit a limping one !

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing a little lumber now Denzil after all the walking, but still a way to go! Not having a car is a bind, but it beats having one that you cannot trust and costs you hundreds of pounds!

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul
    I visited the Gowy Meadows today,and I thought that you may be interested to know what was about.

    Chaffinch
    Jackdaw
    Goldcrest
    Jay
    Blue tit
    Great Tit
    Goldfinch
    Mistle Thrush
    Blackbird
    Robin
    Dunnock
    Raven
    Peregrine
    Kestrel 2
    Buzzard 4
    Song Thrush
    Greenfinch
    Bullfinch
    Long Tailed Tit c 20
    Great Spotted Woodpecker
    Redwing c 100
    Fieldfare c 100
    Lapwing c 500
    Stock Dove
    Reed Bunting
    Stonechat
    Pied Wagtail over
    Lesser Redpoll over

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete