Saturday 7 January 2012

Eider down Mostyn Way...

Finally, six days into the New Year I had the opportunity to get out and kick-start my Flintshire year list.

It is always good to start afresh, especially considering that last year only registered a paltry 152 species – a dozen down on my previous and first effort.

Will I ever reach the magical 200? Perhaps, providing Fortuna keeps delivering like she did on Friday.

A ninety minute stroll down through Whitford and Mostyn Estates had produced the usual woodland birds, plus a calling Willow Tit that unfortunately I could not locate amongst a large mixed winter flock.

Incidentally, it is very evident this winter that the effect a mild spell has on the numbers of small passerines. Hardly a Nobel Prize for Biology observation I grant you, but the trees and undergrowth are dripping with Goldcrests, Treecreepers and Wrens currently.

Arriving at the coast near Mostyn Dock I soon added a couple of Great Crested Grebes to the list and I was happily enjoying watching them lazily dive in the winter sun until I picked-up a duck loafing just behind the rusting Duke of Lancaster.

As I approached the vessel, it drifted out of sight Port (okay, I admit it, I had to look that up) side. A minor civil offence was required in trespassing behind the fence, but when I crept around t’other side a cracking immature drake Eider was a mere ten yards away from me. Nice.

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment