Thursday 12 August 2010

Hola, Hola, It's Good to be Back

Well, the old internet is finally up and running!

I had forgotten how difficult this writing malarkey can be sometimes, so I’m not sure where to start. I suppose today is as good as any.

With the wind from the north west it was probably a good idea to do some seawatching from the Point Of Ayr today. Henceforth, I did precisely the opposite and sauntered up to the site of the old hide and back over the high tide.

Plenty of Sandwich Terns were screeching around, but probably most notable was the large number of Oystercatchers that are starting to build up – I have seen them reach formidable numbers here in early autumn.

Minus telescope there wasn’t much scope (sorry, bad pun), for picking out anything unusual, but with the sun shining on my back and an abundance of butterflies at large it was one of those occasions to sit on the bench and feel like a king.

Incidentally, one Grayling on the path today – never seen them down here before, but them again I have never looked until this year!

On another thread, it is worth mentioning that Connah’s Quay is particularly good at the moment with big numbers of waders using the bunded pools – something that regrettably isn’t always the case.

Wont be too long before the Black-tailed Godwit flock reaches its full compliment down at Oakenholt. Catching them all in flight from the west hide at high tide is to me the quintessential birding experience on the Dee and there isn’t too long to wait!

Until not as long as last time.

1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    domino 99

    ReplyDelete