Wednesday 16 November 2011

Short Attention Span


Talk about saving the best ‘till last.

I undertook another hike from home at Lloc to Prestatyn yesterday with the aim of rendezvousing with the high tide at the Point of Ayr and then moving over to Gronant to look for some Short-eared Owls.

This time I was fully tooled up with my telescope and foldaway chair and after a two hour yomp of Goose Green-esque intensity I was in situ at the old hide site.

It was glorious. Thousands of waders thronged the shoreline including surprisingly high numbers of Bar-tailed Godwits – perhaps due to the prolonged South-easterlies the birds had been pushed further east?

Sadly – as is increasingly common at the POA – the high tide roost was disturbed by a cretin with a camera. Not a craparazzi, just s casual with a basic camera grinning gormlessly at the scattering Oystercatchers. Prat.

Next up was Warren Fields that held good numbers of Lapwing a gross or so of grazing Wigeon and a pair of dozing Pochards.

En route to Gronant I pitched-up on top of the highest dune for a scan of the drink. It was very quiet, but persistence (actually more of a reluctance to move my backside) paid off eventually with a distant flyby Great Northern Loon.

Close inspection of the strandline all the way to the Little Tern watch-point at Gronant produced nowt – something I considered a little unfair considering Snow Buntings seem to be popping up everywhere else!

Moron of the day number two was loose though. Sharing the same gormless retarded grin of the aforementioned, he delighted in watching his Whippet chase every element of birdlife on the beach.

Exhausted I collapsed into the dunes at Gronant and waited for dusk. As it happens I didn’t have to wait that long.

A tick past three and the first Short-eared Owl began its first sortie. Seemingly determined to cover every inch of territory it flew back and forth up and down the gullies in the dunes – sometimes very, very close.

After thirty minutes it was joined by another bird and soon after a third. The light was fantastic and the next twenty or so minutes I spent burrowed in the vegetation watching the birds hunt was the best birding I’ve had all year. And, I flushed a Woodcock too – superb.

Until later.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paul
    It's great to see you joining the ever growing numbers of Short Eared Owl fans.
    I've said to many people since my experience of watching Shorties hunting at Frodsham recently,that,"If there had been 10 UK 'Firsts'on the marsh that day,I would have turned my back on them,to enjoy the spectacle that the owls were putting on".

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Denzil. The SEO has always been one of my favourite birds - it's just a shame their Long-eared cousins are so shy and retiring! Never seen one in flight...

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul
    I've also never had what I would call decent views of a Long Eared Owl either......but I always console myself in Birding by thinking that every time there is something that I have never enjoyed or achieved,then these are things that I've still got to look forward to.
    If you really want to get a feel of just how good the Shorties are at Frodsham at the moment,then 'Click On' to the Manchester Birding Forum,and then on to 'Cheshire and Wirral'sites,for Frodsham and the Weaver Bend,and read the comments that people have made.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, just interested to know did you say anything to these "photographers" or did you walk away and then hope that somehow they read your blog or stumble upon some decent bird etiquette rule book somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mr 'Anon.' I didn't say anything to the 'photographers' as I was at the old hide site and they were on the spit.

    I have had a word with quite a few people over the years though, after I have stormed over to intercept them in a fit of pique.

    I tend to be very diplomatic on most occasions, although the 'I didn't notice/read either sign' tend to be about as convincing as James Murdoch's 'I didn't know phone hacking was going on' after a while...

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete