Thursday 22 April 2010

The Magnificent Seven

Some High Plains Drifting turned into the Magnificent Seven at High Noon today when I sat in astonishment watching five Hen Harriers around a peak in North Wales.

Thanks and credit must go to Bill Owen who found two males and three females displaying whilst out walking last week and was subsequently kind enough to pass on the information to me.

It capped quite an astonishing walk, as earlier on the morning I had been watching another ‘courting couple’ at what seemed like a nest site in another part of the moor, taking my total Hen Harrier count for the day to an incredible seven birds – I never thought I would see the day in North Wales!

At the first nest site I was also witness to another first. I could actually hear the female bird calling from the ground – all other Hen Harriers I have seen have been mute!

In the five years I have been watching the hills in spring, I would speculate that Hen Harriers are on the up in Wales. Spend long enough in suitable habitat and I would think you are virtually guaranteed to find one.

I was also taken aback at the numbers of Raven. I counted at least ten pairs over six hours with numerous single birds floating around too. Only Wheatears outnumbered them – they seemed to be on every stone wall I looked at.

The only disappointing note was the lack of breeding wading birds considering the amount of suitable habitat. I walked miles and only came across two pairs of Curlew, with no sign of any Golden Plover or Dunlin, although a Common Sandpiper feeding along the edge of an area of water was an unexpected bonus.

Sorry to be so unspecific about the area, but sadly you still can’t be too careful…

Undisclosed Area 22.4.10

Hen Harrier 7
Buzzard 5
Red Kite 1
Kestrel 1
GC Grebe 1
Raven 26
Wheatear 37
Common Sandpiper 1
Curlew 4
Red-legged Partridge 2

Until later.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    FYI.

    Went to Worlds End the other day via Llangollen.

    Would recommend to anyone to take a trip there.

    Bird list:-

    2 X male Redstarts (just out the packet and singing)
    1 x male Pied flycatcher (again just out the packet)
    1 x Black grouse
    1 x Goshawk (displaying)
    1 x Kestrel
    10-15 Siskins
    Loads of Willow warblers
    3 x Chiffchaffs
    10 x Wheatears
    20 x Meadow pipits

    No Cuckoos yet (thats what I went to see)

    If you are prepared to walk around it is well worth it.

    Cheers

    Keith D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith,

    Just out of the packet - I like that expression!

    Ruabon Moor is an area I have tended to under-rate until this year, but as you point out it is as good as anywhere for upland birds.

    Not had a Cuckoo yet, but I have a feeling I will strike lucky his weekend - looking very good for migration over the next couple of days, so I may go in for a 5am Point of Ayr expedition...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osprey over IMF this afternoon @ 2:20PM; also 1 Yellow Wagtail & 10 Spotted Redshanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul

    Did you manage to get a decent view of the Osprey,because I must admit I've only ever been able to get pretty average views of one myself.
    It seems to be a very reliable place to see one,with birds being reported most years.

    SHOTTON POOLS NATURE RESERVE
    23-04-2010 2.15PM - 5.30PM
    52 SPECIES RECORDED
    86 SPECIES RECORDED IN 2010
    LATEST ADDITIONS 23-04-2010
    SAND MARTIN,SHELDUCK,COMMON SANDPIPER,COMMON SWALLOW,LITTLE RINGED PLOVER,REED WARBLER,BLACKCAP,ROOK,COMMON WHITETHROAT,GRASSHOPPER WARBLER,GARDEN WARBLER.

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great views of the Osprey Denzil - it flew about thirty yards above No2 pool.

    It's only the fourth one I've ever seen and strangely enough my only other UK Osprey was at IMF three years ago - the other two were in Morocco and on the Ganges at Rishikesh in India.

    Any Common Terns managed to make it back yet?

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul

    Unfortunately,there's no sign of any Common Terns yet,and it's now looking like the next couple of weeks are going to be crucial.
    It was very interesting reading Keith's Post on World's End,because this is an area that I also rate very highly,and there's no doubt that he's right about the fact that if you're prepared to get out on your feet and spend some time there,then there is some excellent 'Birding' to be had.
    I particularly like the Goshawk sighting because I've never been lucky enough to see one up there.

    CHEERS DENZIL
    P.S.
    I was very surprised to pick up a Garden Warbler at Shotton yesterday,but that's this place all over,it's full to the 'Rafters' of surprises.
    By the way..............No Cuckoo for me yet either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul

    Please see email sent on - 25-04-2010.

    UPLAND BIRDING
    25-04-2010
    23 SPECIES RECORDED

    WILLOW WARBLER 3
    SISKIN 12
    COMMON BUZZARD 5
    COMMON SWALLOW 5
    GOSHAWK 2 MALE - FEMALE
    MEADOW PIPIT 4
    RAVEN 5
    RED KITE 1
    WHEATEAR 5 MALE 2 FEMALE 3
    MERLIN 1 MALE
    SKYLARK 2
    SAND MARTIN 2
    KESTREL 2
    LESSER REDPOLL 6

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete