Monday 12 April 2010

The Welsh Prairies

I am starting to get paranoid now. Another walk in the uplands and another Red Kite was dispatched to track me up the mountain. Big Brother is watching me from Kitecam!

What with the fine spell of weather we are enjoying I was in the uplands again checking out another possible spot for breeding Golden Plover following a tip off.

Unfortunately it involved a steep climb to over two thousand feet that would have been enough of a slog in itself, but the hundred metre dip before the summit was just cruel.

People always bang on about ‘views’ – normally estate agents selling houses overlooking our impoverished countryside – that are rarely ‘truly stunning’, but if you excuse a hint of hyperbole on my behalf, the view from the top was incredible - taking in most of North Wales’ major peaks.

Sorry for being vague again about the location, but although my search for Golden Plovers was fruitless, I was treated to very close views of a pair of Hen Harriers – probably on territory.

I don’t want to sound blasé, but Hen Harriers appear to be on the up in North Wales – what a coincidence following the cessation of commercial grouse shooting! Sadly, that means fewer game birds and it was disappointing not to find at least one Black or Red Grouse despite walking through miles of prime habitat.

Aside from the hundreds and hundreds of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks, I didn’t see very much else apart from one Wheatear. But on a day like this it didn’t really matter – and did I tell you about the views…!

Undisclosed Site near the Arenigs 12.04.10

1 Red Kite
2 Hen Harrier (pair)
1 Wheatear
1 Raven

Until later.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    You're certainly the 'King' of Hen Harriers at the moment,and that looks like a tremendous view up there.
    As I think I might have said before,I need to get up there myself pretty soon,because the last time I saw a Hen Harrier in the Uplands it was a truly memorable experience.

    GREENFIELD HERITAGE PARK AND DOCKS
    11-04-2010 8.30AM - 2.00PM
    65 SPECIES RECORDED

    TREECREEPER 4
    WILLOW WARBLER 4
    COMMON BUZZARD 6
    NUTHATCH 5
    GOLDCREST 1
    CHIFFCHAFF 9
    BLACKCAP 8
    COAL TIT 2
    DIPPER 1
    LONG TAILED TIT 7
    WILLOW TIT 1
    LESSER REDPOLL 2
    LITTLE GREBE 1
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 2
    GARDEN WARBLER 2
    SKYLARK 1
    MEADOW PIPIT 40
    COMMON SWALLOW 7
    LINNET 26
    WHEATEAR 5
    WHITE WAGTAIL 3
    MISTLE THRUSH 2
    KESTREL 1
    LITTLE EGRET 3
    OYSTERCATCHER c3000
    REDSHANK 14
    CURLEW c20
    WHIMBREL 1
    TURNSTONE c20

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denzil, I think I can remember every single occasion I have seen Hen Harriers in the uplands vividly - much more rewarding than seeing them on the estuary.

    It's an odd experience really; I think I am intruding in a way and the Harriers likewise when they visit the estuary - then they are the outsiders in a foreign habitat.

    However, I am yet to see a Short-eared Owl in the moors - now that would be something.

    I think many people would be surprised just what is up there. Redshank, Greenshank, Dotterel and incredibly Long-billed Dowitcher have all bred in North Wales in the not too distant past.

    Very jealous of your Willow Tit sighting, not found one in Flintshire despite many attempts...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good hour or so at Frodsham Marsh this morning - adult female Hen Harrier hunting the perimeter of No.6 tank; also a pair of Yellow Wagtails and a pair of Grey Partridge near Frodsham International Airport...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul

    It's nice to see that Frodsham is still turning up some decent birds,but I must admit that I have'nt been down there much this year.......Still sulking over the Windmills!!!
    Also it's good to see that you've seen a pair of Yellow Wagtails,I don't think I've ever been anywhere that's better than Frodsham for them.



    CONNAH'S QUAY
    WEPRE PARK AND DNS NATURE RESERVE
    13-04-2010 7.15AM-1.15PM
    64 SPECIES RECORDED

    NUTHATCH 3
    TREECREEPER 2
    COAL TIT 2
    BLACKCAP 7
    CHIFFCHAFF 9
    MISTLE THRUSH 2
    LONG TAILED TIT 2
    GOLDCREST 4
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 1
    SPARROWHAWK 1
    COMMON BUZZARD 2
    JAY 2
    DIPPER 1
    GREY WAGTAIL 1

    DNS

    SKYLARK 3
    BLACK TAILED GODWIT c3000
    CURLEW 24
    COMMON SWALLOW 2
    OYSTERCATCHER c500
    COMMON SANDPIPER 1
    MEADOW PIPIT 3
    GADWALL 2
    REDSHANK c300
    LITTLE EGRET 4
    LITTLE GREBE 1
    REED BUNTING 2
    RAVEN 2
    AVOCET 3
    SPOTTED REDSHANK 1
    GREENSHANK 1
    WILLOW WARBLER 1

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete