Friday 4 June 2010

Good News

I read in dispatches (well a forwarded email by Mark Murphy!) that the RSPB aim to construct a new hide at the Point of Ayr by the onset of winter.

This is great news. I am extremely fond of this site and have spent many a magical hour sat in the old hide – I will never forget the freezing cold autumnal morning when I watched a Marsh Harrier and Pomarine Skua come to blows over the edge of the marsh.

Whether or not this process has been expedited in recent days or that it is just coincidence that this is going ahead now is immaterial, but credit where credit is due, the RSPB is now at least doing something - and importantly informing people what is going on and what its intentions are.

Perhaps, this glasnost will extent to the reserve at Inner Marsh Farm and a little bulletin will be released detailing the chronology of the project and any potential problems they are having or may encounter in the future. Dare I suggest it could even be attached to the back of the toilet door on the new temporary lavatory!!

Anyway, that’s quite enough moaning by me for this week (and year hopefully). I sincerely look forward to my first posting from the new Point of Ayr hide – or should I say ‘viewing facility’ (sorry, that was a bit naughty).

Back to birds and wildlife tomorrow.

Jai Govardhanadhari.

6 comments:

  1. Great news about a new hide.I just hope they don't just put a screen up.I'm sure BHP and RSPB together can up with a decent hide and sooner the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there. What I can can gather, the hide will be similar to the ones at Moore NR. These are very robust structures and would withstand all but a really concerted effort by vandals to damage them.

    My preference would be for a converted old metal ship container like at Woolston NR. Perfect size and shape andd very hard to destroy.

    If I can distill my major gripe with the RSPB in one word it is the lack of 'localism' that really irritates me.

    There is absolutely no desire or willingness to consult any local RSPB members and invite their views on the running of its reserves.

    In other words, you get what we decide is best.

    I don't think this works in the modern age, especially wen you are spending other peoples' money (and lottery grants too). Management should regularly consult with the local members on all sorts of issues such as the design of a new hide to silly little things like a perch for a Kingfisher - not too much to ask!

    This would engender much more goodwill I think and encourage people to contribute their ideas.

    The RSPB absolutely does not have a monopoly on knowledge in relation to nature and wildlife. I know loads of people what visit IMF for example whom I'm sure would contribute lots to the reserve if only they were encouraged to do so...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul

    WORLDS END
    05-06-10

    RAVEN 7
    KESTREL 2
    PEREGRINE 2
    TREE PIPIT 5
    WHINCHAT 3
    STONECHAT 2
    CURLEW 6
    REDSTART 5
    PIED FLYCATCHER 2
    GOLDCREST 8
    COAL TIT 5
    CUCKOO 4
    COMMON BUZZARD 7
    WILLOW WARBLER 11
    CHIFFCHAFF 5
    DIPPER - 1 ADULT - 1 JUV 2
    SISKIN c50
    WOOD WARBLER 2
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 1
    WHEATEAR 3
    RING OUZEL - MALE 1

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just found this blog, interesting!

    Not sure on your views of RSPB "localism" though. How many Man Utd fans does Alex Ferguson call to consult on his teamsheet? Buying a season ticket doesn't mean you can pick the team or the world would be in one hell of a mess!!

    See you in the hide at POA!!

    Amy
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, Good point, but Alex Ferguson has a track record of doing things successfully!

    Just being serious for a moment though, using your football club analogy, many clubs do have fan's representatives on the board and many clubs have open forums for supporters, with the management in attendence.

    I think that things are a little autocratic at the moment and if you went to IMF with a suggestion or complaint the response would be similar to Brian Clough's when asked what happens when a player has an issue with him:

    "I ask him into my office, we sit down and I ask him what the problem is. We chat for a while and then we decide that I was right."

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete