Wednesday 16 June 2010

Nada

Widnes Railway station may have famously inspired 'Homeward Bound, but a couple of hours at Nercwys last night would have set Simon & Garfunkel off in a rendition of the Sound of Silence.

After a blank last year for Nightjars, cautious optimism was the order of the evening, but as night fell a distant calling Little Owl was the best SS, Usain Duckers and I could muster.

It looks like the Goatsuckers have deserted this area now and the only possibility for a reasonably local churring male looks to be either Fenn's Moss or the new area of heath on Bickerton Hill...

Until later.

3 comments:

  1. I was at Nercwys myself last night! Were you with the group of 3 chaps or on your own? I was the guy in the Chester FC hat.
    Such a shame that there was nothing around. I know nightjars were getting harder to find each year but I was amazed no woodcocks were about. At least my test using SOS cream worked to keep the midges off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Yes that was me - good to meet you and to put a face to a name!

    It was a same there was nothing around, going to try Fenn's Moss soon.

    We didn't see any Woodcocks either - a big surprise, although maybe numbers are down after last winter.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, nice meeting you too Paul! You're probably spot on about the hard winter as I can't see any other reason why no woodcocks would be about, it's still great habitat for them. I can't help thinking that all the work done at Nercwys has been to the detriment of the nightjars. That new path goes right through the area where I have seen them churring from in the past, surely it is disturbance they don't need with walkers going through there all the time?

    ReplyDelete