Wednesday 23 March 2011

Will-o'-the-wisp

Llyn Helyg came up trumps yet again this morning when I found a Willow Tit on the western side of the lake.

His completes a ‘poecile double’ at this location and represents the first Willow Tit I have seen in Wales, let alone Flintshire.

The bird – not surprisingly – was working the boggy area of the wood with the thick stands of immature birch. Calling nosily and incessantly it was not hard to locate - and indeed follow - as it worked its way restlessly through the trees.

In contrast the Marsh Tits are found on the eastern side of the water where the more mature stands of mixed deciduous woodland lie.

I suppose it is a classic illustration of how these superficially similar birds are tied to quite different habitats. It also highlights what an excellent area of habitat Llyn Helyg is: well worth a trip, especially now the guns have fallen silent.

Other notable birds included a Marsh Tit near the entrance, representing the first time that I have found Marsh and Willow Tit in the same location.

Also, there were up to five separate Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming from different locations today, plus a handful of Treecreepers and Chiffchaff.

Until later.

3 comments:

  1. Great find Paul I must try and get up there for the bird and noticed it has a coloured red ring on its left leg. john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John. Llyn Helyg is well worth a visit at the moment. Aside from Marsh and Willow Tit, it looks perfect for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker too and possibly Wood Warbler and Pied and Spotted Flycatcher as spring progresses.

    I don't know how well you know the wood, but there is a permissive path all the way around the lake - bring your wellies though, it is very boggy in places.

    Cheers, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul

    Llyn Helyg really is coming up trumps isn't it!
    I think it will only be a matter of time before you find a Lesser Spot,and one or two other decent birds there as well.
    The area is also very good for Dragonflies and Damselflies too,but until I explore the lake a little bit better,I don't know how good it is for Wildfowl.
    Have you considered putting up a Feeding Station there,because I think it would be very productive,I did have one up myself at Coed Y Garth Wood,but I had it taken down because I was unable to keep it topped up throughout the Winter months due to my accident,but it had already produced a regular Marsh Tit,and I had also seen 3 Willow Tits around the woodland also,add to those the Lesser Spot that you found there yourself,and it was turning into another excellent find woodland wise.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete