Saturday 23 July 2011

Do Ospreys Dream of Electric Tags?

"...if I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life..." HD Thoreau

With the risk of repeating myself, it was with tongue firmly in cheek that I used the above quotation in reference to the activities of the SCAN Clamping Group at Puffin Island.

Sadly, it just gets worse:

http://montgomerybirdblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/osprey-update.html

What possible SCIENTIFIC reason is there for attaching satellite tracking devices to all THREE chicks?

What do the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust hope to learn from this? Ospreys are increasing in number in the United Kingdom and their migratory routes and overwintering areas are well known.

Utterly, utterly pointless and as far as the 'wild' birds are concerned a huge betrayal of trust.

On a science fiction theme - rather than a cod-scientific one - I can imagine a point in the future when technology allows all birds to be chipped and their whereabouts known at all times.

Birdguides will feed live data on the locations of rare birds; not only those in the UK, but perhaps ones that are potential arrivals.

A message along the lines of : White-throated Robin in Belgium - bird following a northerly migration route (see link), and predicted to arrive in the Dungeness area tomorrow morning.

Twitchers would actually be in place before the bird arrived!

You heard it here first...

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment