Saturday 16 July 2011

Warren Buffeting

A ragged - but nonetheless stunning -  Osprey was the highlight of an early morning walk out to Abermenai Point at Newborough Warren.

Birding was a little difficult at the outset as what can only be described as a plague of dogs charged around the entrance to the car park and the mouth of the Braint.

Still, they were soon left behind and my mate Rob and I were in no time at all nearing the point.

With little to worry the Leicas most of out attention was focused on the huge numbers of Graylings and the masses of wildflowers - including scores of the exquisite Pyramidal Orchid.

It was then that we inadvertently flushed a raptor and as I half-heartedly raised my bins to confirm yet another Buzzard I had a rather pleasant shock - Osprey!

Rather than just navigating itself to another roosting point, the bird decided it was time for brunch and after shaking off the irritating presence of the local Great-backed Blacked Gulls it proceeded to fish.

No question what was on the menu - Mullet. The shallows were teeming with them and after three unsuccessful dives, the fourth attempt was a success.

It was as this point that I realised that this was the time I had ever seen an Osprey catch a fish and for my mate Rob it was the first time he had encountered an Osprey!

Not to be outdone, when we turned onto the beech we startled a female Peregrine enjoying Oystercatcher alfresco.

Happy hunting indeed...

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment