Monday 30 May 2011

Little and Large


A pleasant surprise at a dismal Connah’s Quay this morning was this pukka 2cy Little Gull.

When I first picked-out a ‘small larid’ amongst the throngs of Black-headed my thoughts initially turned to Bonaparte’s Gull, but when the bird flew closer its true identity was revealed (I wonder if Bonaparte’s Gull earned its name from being diminutive like Monsieur Napoleon himself?)

Frankly I felt a small amount of sympathy for the ting blighter as every time it attempted to feed it was remorselessly harried by the Black-heads – shocking bullying!

Not much else going-on aside a few Common Terns and with Stan disappearing up the M6 to see a Common Sandpiper with acne, I headed for home.

Of considerably bigger stature – although no less noteworthy – was a fleeting glimpse I had of a Goshawk when out walking in Mynydd Hiraethog yesterday.

No mistaking this beast as it flew across an area of clearfell being pursued by a very cross looking Carrion Crow.

In other news I nearly froze to death at Coed Nercwys on Thursday evening when out looking for Nightjars. Not a sniff - but the weather wasn’t exactly ideal.

Getting warmer later in the week apparently so could be time for more crepuscular sleuthing!

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment