Sunday 15 May 2011

Sitting on the dock of the bay...

For the umpteenth time I rocked up at Connah’s Quay NR only to realise I had forgotten my key – not a clever idea with rain forecast.

Plan B was duly enacted and I tootled over to Shotton Pools NR.

Disappointingly – but not surprisingly – the tern rafts were emptier than the brain of the average Eurovision contestant. Sadly it looks like three strikes and out for the Common Terns.

Although the timing could never have been good, it is ironic that birds have deserted the colony just as Tata – with the help of a grant from CCW – have spent money developing (some would say damaging) the site with view to showing the birds to schoolchildren.

Result: Shotton Pools has a brand new hide and no birds; the Point of Ayr has birds, but no hide!

With little activity around the pools I had a walk along the riverbank. It was pretty quiet here too, with a single female Wheatear and a male Stonechat the only visible birds of note, although there was plenty of audible activity as various Reed and Sedge Warblers engaged in their own song contest.

The final hour before lunch was spent at Cop Hole and it was one of the most enjoyable hours birding I have had in a long time.

No rarities, but the incredible sight of the rain bringing down large numbers of Swifts, House Martins, Sand Martins and Swallows – a mesmerising spectacle.
Until later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, not joined u to Shotton Pools, did apply for membership but was put off by the bad reports a while back. Thinking if we did try now we'd have to fill out the forms again perhaps. What is the new hide like is there any photographic potential from it, perhaps when birds return in the winter or would it be too far from the action?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash - the hide is close to some phragmites and a couple of pools, so there is potential for taking photographs.

    I'm not sure what the current situation is regarding membership and access though - I think there is a moratorium on new applications.

    If I'm honest, TATA are placing so many restrictions on where you can go ('elf and safety mafia predictably), plus the fact that the terns have gone means it is probably not worth the effort anymore....

    Cheers,

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers mate might well leave it for now. It's a bit tricky to get to on my own anyway due to not driving. I've got enough places to go I often go somewhere then realise I could have some somewhere better.

    ReplyDelete