Saturday 25 June 2011

Dodgy Birds


I did the rounds late this morning – Connah’s Quay and Shotton Pools – and this pukka  Common Spotted Orchid growing on landfill at the steelworks was unquestionably the highlight of a dreech couple of hours.

In fairness, CQNR was a little improved on recent weeks. Although still suffering from a rash of Black-headed Gulls and Shelducks, there has definitely been a post-breeding influx of Lesser Black-backeds and Little Egrets.

On the subject of Egrets, a Great White Egret was reported yesterday from this reserve, but despite a good deal of searching from a number of people following the original sighting it has sadly not been relocated.

I have to confess to being a little sceptical of many GWE records on the Dee Estuary; many seem to be single observer sightings and invariably the bird is never relocated.

I can only speak of my experience of these Egrets in India, but if that is anything to go by, the Great Whites are not too keen on brackish and salt water, much preferring fresh.

This, of course, probably means why they don’t hang around the Dee for too long…?

I must admit to being immensely pleased today too see that for the second year in succession, the pair of Oystercatchers breeding on the stone island near the field centre have successfully bred.

There has been at least one other pair on the reserve too – on the Ash Pool – and although they hatched at least two chicks, I’m not sure if either made it, unlike the aforementioned duo on the pools who have one new addition to the ranks.

Also on the reserve today was one of the two ‘Ruddy’ Shelducks recently logged. I didn’t get a great view, but I imagine that they are the same sketchy brace that have been knocking about for a few years now.

What with the ‘Bonapartes’ Gull, ‘GW’ Egret, and now ‘Ruddy’ Shelduck, Connah’s Quay NR seems to have more hooky birds in its book than Del Boy!!

Anyway, Shotton Pools. One Little Ringed Plover. Nothing Else. Security bloke had a go at me for blowing my horn when I was waiting at the gate. I hadn’t.

Until later.

9 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thanks Paul !!!
    I'm very familiar with Great White Egrets from numerous visits to France,and with views from as little as 10 yards,for nearly an hour,I think that you can count this one in !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denzil - I guess my worst fear is coming true - I am turning into one of THEM - a sceptical old bugger!! Great bird, will hopefully add it to my starving Flintshire list...

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul
    This Post raises a very interesting subject,that being where do all the rarities go after they have initially been recorded,and where were they previously ?
    A lady whom I spoke to a few years ago,seemed to think that these birds simply fly straight here from wherever they have come from,and then fly directly back,having found the U.K.not to their liking after a single visit to any particular site.
    Although hard to imagine,she may well have a very valid point,for example,what happened to the White Throated Robin,Oriental Turtle Dove,Eastern Crowned Warbler,Red Rumped Swallow,Barred Warbler,Savi's Warbler,Purple Heron,etc,etc,etc.
    It is definitely not inconcieveable,that the Great White Egret for example,if being from the French population,is now already back there as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul
    To follow on from that Post.
    There was a Cuckoo that was satellite tagged in the U.K. this year.
    One would have immediately presumed that the bird was here for the summer months before then returning back to Africa,but was in fact then recorded in Paris the following day !!
    All this adds to the now growing belief that birds are not just moving between different sites locally as previously thought,but are in fact moving between different countries on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul,

    I agree with the last comment.I think we still have a lot to learn about migration not just springtime but autumn time as well.I have always thought that our common birds skip this country a lot. All to do with amounts of food and habitat I think.I think the occasionally some birds lose their way but quicky realise their mistake and off they go back to where they should have gone.The weather must also play a part especially if they are confronted by storms in their path.

    Anom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some very thought provoking points there. I think that radio-tagging birds could eventually provide us with some quite amazing data.

    One tagged Cuckoo could reveal more to us than the 50,000 birds ringed in the UK in terms of the species' migration and general movements.

    On the point of rarities (or 'lost' birds), I oten think of when I was small and would run to the sea and dip my toe in the water.

    Invariably, I would conclude it was too bloody cold and hot-foot it back as soon as I could.

    I think many birds visiting the UK for the same time have the same feeling!!

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul

    It never ceases to amaze me that people expect a bird to be present in the place that it was seen the previous day,or even as little as an hour after it has been seen.......and that includes myself !
    I went looking for the Bonaparte's Gull at Connah's Quay NR,and couldn't find it,I went looking for the Little Gull there also,and couldn't find it,I went looking for the Long Billed Dowitcher there,and couldn't find it,and guess what.......the same went for the Ruddy Shelducks,yet all of these sightings appeared to have been completely genuine.
    The fact is that birds are not monuments,they move around constantly,sometimes incredible distances at a time,and the fact that no one else could find these birds at Connah's Quay,and that includes the Great White Egret,is totally meaningless.
    The finders of all these birds were quite simply lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time,and whether they were in a group,or the sighting is from a single observer,is also totally meaningless,because I know many Birders who religously bird alone,because they concentrate hard on picking up a lot of their birds on call,and birds that are flying over,and find it much easier to do this alone,and that skill should not devalue any of their sightings.

    Anon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paul
    Please see email

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul
    Sorry,I've tried to send you an email,but have been advised that the email address I have for you is no longer in use..........

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete