Tuesday 7 September 2010

Four Hundred Swallows does make an Autumn

With news that a Stone Curlew had been sent packing from Hilbre in the direction of Wales, in a bout of ludicrous optimism I was up early this morning for a good scout around the dunes at Talacre.

And what did I find? Well, alas no Eurasian Thick-knee, but plenty of warblers – Blackcaps mostly – and a very good passage of Swallows that continued unbroken all morning.

After a couple of hours of a diet of Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Common Whitethroats, and the aforementioned Blackcaps, I decided I wasn’t going to bag a Wryneck or a Barred Warbler and elected to walk down to the old hide area to watch the tide come in.

As expected, the Kingfisher was present and correct, but my attention was drawn to the end of the spit where the amassing Oysties were being terrorised by a rather inept juvenile female Peregrine.

Things had settled down by the time I had plonked myself on hte bench. Excellent numbers of Curlews today, possibly in excess of two thousand birds – a great count down here.

Other waders included singles of Whimbrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Greenshank and Knot and these were soon joined by a score of winter liveried Bar-tailed Godwits spare a couple of moulting adults.

For the final hour I moved over to the spit and found a hundred or so Ringed Plover, plus thirty Dunlins roosting on the shingle, whilst over the drink there was little save a handful of Sandwich Terns, a Gannet and a Grey Seal.

Point of Ayr 7.9.10

Curlew circa 2,000
Oystercatcher circa 2,500
Ringed Plover 100
Conwy Sandpiper 30
Bar-tailed Godwit 20
Black-tailed Godwit 1
Whimbrel 1
Greenshank 1
Knot 1
Redshank 80
Peregrine 1 (juvenile female)
Sparrowhawk 2 (juvenile female and an adult female)
Sandwich Tern 6
Gannet 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker 2
Kingfisher 1
Blackcap 10+
Common Whitethroat 3
Chiffchaff 4
Willow Warbler 3
Bullfinch 2
Wheatear 3
Swallow 400+

On a different tack, I could write thousands of words on what I feel about the direction the RSPB is heading, but in a glorious piece of serendipity this little quote from RSPB Starbuck’s website sums it up for me much more succinctly than I ever could:

“My husband and I often visit on a Saturday afternoon. It's a real treat. There's always something interesting to see at this lovely spot and the coffee, cakes and view (sic) from the cafĂ© are just great. “ Jane Turner

Until later, or hasta luego – off to Spain again for a short break!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I noticed a sizeable number of Swallows at Valley the other day,and also of note was a good movement of Great Tits and Greenfinch's.
    Also whilst out doing my Urban Birding bit,there were very noticeable mixed flocks of Tit's,and Warbler's moving along the banks of the Dee.

    CHESTER CITY
    URBAN BIRDING
    91 SPECIES RECORDED IN 2010
    LATEST ADDITION

    SPOTTED FLYCATCHER(GROSVENOR PARK) 3
    AND I HAVEN'T STOPPED SMILING SINCE !!!!!

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last!!! I've still only seen one Spotted Flycatcher this year - at the Point of Ayr in spring.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Spot Fly in Grosvenor park?!!!
    Fantastic spot Denzil, where do I head for? (can email if you like if you want to keep the location under wraps)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone

    Forget any other bird that I've seen this year,because this was the highlight of the year in the UK for me.
    I honestly think that rarities are over rated,not because I'm rubbish at finding them,as you all will have noticed from my regular reports,but because I'm adamant that the welfare of birds is the most important aspect of our hobby.
    To watch this charismatic little bird falling away in front of our eyes is one of the saddest things that is happening out there at the moment,and to see my own reaction to seeing them,and also the reaction of yourselves,really drives that fact home,and to think that they were almost a "Gimmee" 10 years ago,and are now nearly sparking a "Twitch" is very worrying as well.
    I don't know whether anyone can remember the RSPB asking people to count dead insects on their number plates a few years ago,but I can,and I must admit that it did make me smile a little,but I'm not laughing now,because I think that they really were onto the serious problem of a lack of the right kind of insects in the air,and the effect that it was having our migrants.
    Take France for example,it was amazing the amount of insects that were about,and thus the good numbers of many of the birds that are really struggling here,including the Spotted Flycatcher,which was very easy to find there.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete