Wednesday 15 September 2010

Medicinal Leach's

Despite feeling a little under the weather after being struck down by a good dose of Iberian bacteria, the howling winds battering my window panes this morning were enough to lure me down to the Point of Ayr for a spot of seawatching.

First light is supposed to be a good time for seabird passage and with the tide still fairly high up the beach – albeit receding – the omens looked good.

On the downside, the wind looked a little too south-westerly and after a promising start of two Leach’s in the first ten minutes, things fizzled out quicker than bottle of Lidl champagne and an hour later I called time.

Great to see a Little Shearwater had been bagged off the North Wirral coast yesterday, but another intriguing report was that of ‘70+ Skua spp.’

I can’t quite get my head around this; how was it that seventy observations were made of Skuas without any conclusive identification of one single bird? Beats me.

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment