Friday 12 November 2010

For Your Eyes Only...

Thanks to Ian ‘007’ Fleming for sending me a picture of the American Robin he found at Turf in Devon.

Ian found the bird after initially heading to Turf for an American Golden Plover. No plover, but as dusk fell 007 found himself looking at a rather unfamiliar passerine.

After a couple of phone calls the bird was identified as an American Robin. The news went out only to be received with predictable scepticism from jealous local birders.

Thankfully they had to eat their words, when in the morning the American Robin reappeared – brilliant find Ian!

Here is a picture of Ian receiving the plaudits he deserves…


More mundanely, a morning visit to Connah's Quay was hindered somewhat by me forgetting my telescope. Still, a Kingfisher and a couple of Greenshanks were on the reserve, plus a pair (or whatever the collective noun is!) of Cohens.

Until later.


1 comment:

  1. I believe you found the correct term there Paul :P

    Oddly I'd know what an american robin looked like straight away, as Im always catching site of American Wildlife Photographers pictures on photography sites, and Flickr. Though when it comes to something like the different sandpipers that look very similar I'm stumped till I can get to a book ( or my iphone app!)

    Ash

    ReplyDelete