Tuesday 2 November 2010

Twitchable

I’m sure many of you will have watched the BBC4 documentary on Twitching yesterday evening (Nov 1st).

Mostly cringe worthy; I thought the strangest aspect of the programme was the self-styled ‘Policeman of Twitching’ Lee Evans who looked like the love child of Christopher Lee and an eighteenth century pirate.

He argued that his self-appointed role was a necessary burden he had to undertake in order to maintain some degree of probity in a field he felt was full of cheats and blaggers. Incredidbly he claimed not to enjoy the notoriety, when it was as plain as his stupid ear-ring that he absolutely lapped it up.

As the show unfolded, a more sinister element emerged – the odd couple from Somerset who seemed intent on confining their daughter’s childhood to weekends on the M5. Foxy missus though.

The main ‘star’ of the show was a character called Gary Bagnell, who seemed to accurately portray the stereotype of a twitcher the programme was trying identify. However, he seemed a fairly dull individual who only seemed exceptional is his ordinariness.

Step forward the most quirky chap – the trawler man from Hull who looked like he was about to have a heart attack after rushing all the way from the Scillies to tick the Eastern-crowned Warbler.

Definitely the most compelling subject in the film, he briefly offered an insight into the sort of dedication, compulsiveness and single-mindedness that makes up this type of birder.

Also, in a moment of sheer brilliance he responded to the question “What is the point of what you are doing” with (and I paraphrase somewhat) “What is the point of anything. Most people want world peace. That’s just a start, but really means that people are free to do as they please and I choose to do this. In the end, you could argue everything in pointless and are lives are ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things.”

JP Sartre eat you heart out.

Until later.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    Re - BBC 4 twitching programme;-

    Thought a lot of the programme was off the wall without too much research being done.

    Makes me wonder are most twitchers actual birdwatchers or are they just in it for the hell of it.

    We all know one guy - that after seeing a rare bird is not bothered about seeing it again.

    I am just as happy to see some of our common birds ie Bullfinches

    Like your comments about LGRE.

    Keith D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith

    VERY WELL SAID SIR !

    I think that the common species of birds are our 'Bread and Butter' and they are always out there every time that we are,and I think that more people should appreciate that.
    I personally don't 'Twitch' but I must admit that the only 'Twitch' that I have attended at Inner Marsh Farm for the recent Long Billed Dowitchers was very enjoyable and also very well organised.
    I think that the reality of 'Twitching' is really a case of it being the only opportunity that most people have of seeing a rare or unusual bird,because you very rarely come accross anyone under normal circumstances who finds their own rarity,they're nearly always put onto these birds by other people.
    I've lost count of the amount of people who I've met over the years,who have a dozen or more 'Lifers' on their list,but not one of those birds was turned up by themselves.
    I personally don't have a single one on my 'Life List' but if or when the day actually arrives when I do,it will at least be self found.
    I actually fully appreciate the Buzz that people get from 'Twitching' because the excitement and anticipation that must be enjoyed whilst travelling to the site to hopefully see the bird must be absolutely tremendous,and very probably a lot of good fun.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ketih / Denzil.
    For a minority of twitchers I know its simply a numbers game. For the majority its another facet to their hobby and they're just as keen working their local patch and finding scarce or rare birds, taking part in national surveys and Atlas work.

    I've twitched birds because I genuinely want to see them - not only because of their rarity valuebut to marvel at the journey they've made to be here. It is also part of the continuous learning process necessary to be able to recognise a rarity you might be lucky enough to find yourself! I've found 3 -4 BBRC rarities over the years along with a good number of county rarities. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was twitching all the time. Similarly I enjoy birding abroad - its all new and hones your i.d skills.

    If you have seen Crested Tit, Capercallie or Golden Eagle you must have twitched it. You've gone to a known site where the birds inhabit. The same with Black Grouse at Worlds End or Hawfinch at Caer Hun. You've gone for a purpose - to see a bird you don't see on your local patch.

    If you'd seen the Barred Warbler that Stan found you'd have twitched it. You didn't find it but you wanted to see a bird someone else had found. The point is everyone is a twitcher to a certain degree. It's just the degree thats different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil, I broadly agree with what you are saying; I think it's the degree some people go to that I find astonishing.

    In terms of 'twitching', I was dead against when I started out a few years ago, then had a little dalliance for a year and now fall somewhere in the middle - content just to see local 'rareties.'

    I wish I hadn't been quite so hardline at the start - I turned my nose up at the Black Stork on Anglesey a few years back and I have regretted in ever since.

    I suppose ultimately it is what gives you the 'buzz' - for me it is finding rare breeding birds in the uplands, seawatching, hectoring the RSPB and trying to rinse as many species out of Flintshire as possible!

    I'm not convinced that many twitchers go for birds as part of a 'learning process' though - a good trip abroad can serve you a lot better in this respect and in terms of adding to your experience much more effective than travelling hundreds of miles to see one bird at a time.

    But, each to their own. If there is one thing I know about birders - no one is the same.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul and Phil.

    Absolutely superb replies from both of you.

    Firstly Phil,
    Of course you are right about the learning process that is involved when you see something different,and I learnt this to my own expense at Shotton Pools Nature Reserve this year when I turned up an almost certain Marsh Warbler on the Reserve amongst a 'Fall' of other Warblers.
    I say almost certain,because it was the very lack of experience of the bird that you have mentioned that ultimately probably caught me out.
    My biggest problem was that I couldn't be 100% sure that it wasn't a Reed Warbler,because I had no understanding whatsoever of the 'Jizz' of a Marsh Warbler.
    My ID clincher was entirely based on an amazing repertoire of calls from the bird,that to be honest with you,was like nothing that I had ever heard before.
    It is also very true what you say about going to certain sites to see certain birds,and indeed Worlds End,which is a site that I visit very regularly during the Spring and Summer months,I do so to see the birds that are only found in that kind of habitat at that time of year.

    Secondly Paul,
    I think that you're right about trying to find a 'Middle Ground' and I think that I could definitely learn from being a little more open minded sometimes.
    To sum up,it really is true,that what is so enjoyable about this Hobby of ours,is the tremendous myriad of people that you can enjoy meeting,talking to,and learning from every time you're involved with it.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete