Saturday 13 November 2010

Halkyn Thriller

Creeping around Halkyn graveyard early this morning I noticed that one of the occupants had failed to return home…

Having given my grave robbing career a long time ago, I was actually there trying to find a Hawfinch – something I have failed to do so in the past and so it was today too.

Not wanting to have a wasted journey I decided to have a walk eastwards along the public footpath towards Plas Newydd.

Passing past the Water Buffalo farm I picked-up a raptor being mobbed by a Crow. I assumed it to be a Buzzard, but as it banked the silhouette of a Red Kite appeared – superb!

I watched the bird on and off for about an hour as it hunted over Pant-y-gof farm and being a carrion hunter, I couldn’t avoid thinking that it may be after a former inhabitant of the residence above…

Seriously though, it was great to see a local Red Kite. There have been quite a few sightings recently from this area, so perhaps Flintshire has a permanent bird on territory as oppose to just a flyover.

I may whinge about the RSPB, but the re-introduction of the Red Kite has been an incredible success and I still get a thrill each time I see one. Now RSPB, how about some less ‘box office’ projects: still no Tree Sparrow, Grey Partridge or Corn Bunting in Flintshire yet this year.

Until later.

1 comment:

  1. Plenty of Crossbills (100+) bozzing about the east shore of Alwen Reservoir this morning - all in glorious sunshine. A Grey Heron was the only bird on the water.

    ReplyDelete