Sunday 12 December 2010

Local Matters

Birding has taken a back seat yet again this weekend with a brief visit down to the Point of Ayr and a couple of quick dog walking expeditions around Lloc the sum of my activities.

The affect the hard weather has had on wildlife was again evident at the old colliery site when I nearly stepped on a Golden Plover. Clearly the worst for wear, the wader could only muster enough strength to shuffle nine or ten yards away from me.

After flushing a couple of Snipe, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and I retraced my steps back towards the lagoons where in the interim a lovely female Goosander had taken up residence.

Being a fairly open area it was difficult to avoid being detected by the sawbill, so after disturbing yet another bird I decided it was time to call it a day and head over towards Coed y Garreg to collect some wood.

Different area, same result: as soon as I started along the footpath towards the tower my clumping size twelve feet startled a Woodcock that after crashing into the lower branches of a birch tree spiralled high into the blue sky.

I got the message and decided to spend the rest of the weekend indoors…

In other news, I have just noticed that some lucky beggar has bagged a Rough-legged Buzzard at Connah’s Quay. Nice, but at the moment a local Waxwing would be good!

Until later.

1 comment: