Saturday 4 December 2010

Shoot to Chill

Having started a new job in deepest, darkest Lancashire I have had little opportunity to go birding recently.

However, wildlife has still been in the forefront of my mind as in between trying to get my head around prescribing data a quick glance out of the window at the latest in a series of snow flurries made me wonder how our wildlife is coping.

More specifically I was reminded of the freezing temperatures of last winter. Despite the hard winter last year wildfowling continued on the Dee Estuary throughout; furthermore I personally witnessed – and reported – some shocking behaviour.

The rules on the cessation of wildfowling during such weather are a little oblique, but basically state that a sustained period of subzero temperatures should result in a suspension in shooting activities.

Due to the vagaries and quirks of the weather the temperatures increased for one day during a particularly hard spell early this year, thus breaking the sequence needed to evoke a postponement of wildfowling.

Sadly, it appeared that most shooters opted to follow the letter rather than the spirit of the law and continued their activities.

If I had had any sympathy for them – and I did have a little as I would much rather eat a wild duck than a supermarket chicken that has endured a like of misery – this evaporated.

After all, you can hardly call it sport when you are shooting at weak birds that have also – due to the frozen marshes – had to congregate in a small area. They may well have shot fish in a barrel.

In other news, I noticed that the RSPB over at Inner Marsh Farm are operating an event on the 12th of December to let people view the birds gathering to feed on a sacrificial crop.

This is a notable improvement on last winter when a similar crop was planted, but in an area the punters could not access unless they wished to engage in some minor trespassing.

On a final note, I have just received a gloating text from my sister who found some Waxwings near her gaff in Buckley. Am I the only person in Britain who has not seen one this year?

Probably.

Until later.

1 comment:

  1. I can't but gloat that I was no more than 6 foot away from a flock of six feeding waxwings this afternoon - what a sight!
    Speaking of wildfowlers - I witnessed one gettting a good soaking on Oakenholt marsh this morning, couldn't keep on his feet out of the freezing water, what a shame.

    Mark M.

    ReplyDelete