Sunday 21 March 2010

Close Encounters of the Bird Kind

Some lovely close up views of a couple of common species and two more unusual species at Inner Marsh Farm this afternoon, where for the first time in ages I was able to sit on the bench without fear of hyperthermia.

Also basking in the afternoon sunshine was a single female Linnet that in an act of welcome boldness had decided to ignore the other ten or so fleeing members of the flock and remain perched no more than five metres away.

When it eventually flew, I headed down to a jam packed hide where I belatedly found somewhere to sit after a rather corpulent woman – occupying at least two spaces - begrudgingly inched along the bench.

A friendly bunch they were; ignoring me when I pointed out six Whooper Swans flying in and then completely blanking me again when I put them on to a hunting adult female Marsh Harrier.

My dear old Grandma always said that good manners cost nothing – she was wrong of course, because an acquaintance of mine was sent to a Swiss finishing school, where they cost quite a considerable sum indeed!

Nay bother, time to get off my hobby horse, if not to stop complaining then to at least give it a rest for a while - otherwise I’ll wear it and the saddle out quicker than you could say Zurich College for Girls.

Anyway, back to the birds. A female Reed Bunting was the next small passerine to insouciantly plonk itself in front of me as it fed methodically on the remains of a bulrush bang in front of the hide.

Eventually it was spooked by the reaction to the ever nearing Marsh Harrier that in whizzing over the causeway had succeeded in flushing all the waders and wildfowl.

The Whooper Swans were much closer now and the small herd notably contained the now infamous bird with yellow legs, subject of much speculation, but ultimately just a Whooper Swan with yellow legs…

Inner Marsh Farm 21.3.10

1 Marsh Harrier (adult female)
6+ Buzzard
6 Whooper Swan
5 Ruff
22 Black-tailed Godwit

Until later.

3 comments:

  1. Haha you always crack me up with posts like this! Some people really can rude, and it makes you wonder why as were all out to see birds when were in a hide. I feel the same way you do I've had some right ignorant customers or well non customers in work. Oh well.. hopefully I can go on a little wheatear hunt before work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul

    I ducked out of my "Little Stint" at Moore NR today,because I had a lousy nights sleep,and I couldn't face up to digging holes,pruning,planting,painting,or anything else they had lined up for me on my Volunteer day.
    So I headed for Inner Marsh Farm,and decided to take in the Wirral Country Park at Willaston,and Burton Wood,to see "What's About".
    There were plenty of Birders out today,and even more birds,and the Hide at IMF was packed,freezing,and very tolerent of me,because I never stop talking.

    INNER MARSH FARM,WIRRAL COUNTRY PARK,
    AND BURTON WOOD.
    22-03-2010 6.30am.- 4.00pm.
    74 SPECIES RECORDED.
    REDWING 2
    LONG TAILED TIT 13
    LAPWING c20
    CHIFFCHAFF 6
    KESTREL 1
    LITTLE EGRET 7
    WHEATEAR 2 MALES
    STONECHAT 5
    GREEN WOODPECKER 1
    REED BUNTING 8
    SKYLARK 2
    COMMON BUZZARD 6
    RED KITE 1 (BURTON MARSH - 8.30AM)
    MERLIN 1 FEMALE
    CURLEW 2
    MEADOW PIPIT 5
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 2
    LINNET c20
    PINTAIL 10
    OYSTERCATCHER 2
    BLACK TAILED GODWIT c150
    RUFF 5
    WHOOPER SWAN 1
    WIGEON c20
    MARSH HARRIER 1 FEMALE
    SHOVELER 9
    PINK FOOTED GOOSE 1
    RINGED PLOVER 1
    GOLDCREST 2
    NUTHATCH 1
    TREECREEPER 2
    SPOONBILL 1

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denzil, I see that making dreadful puns is contagious!!

    Quite a crop of birds there, but I'd not swap them for my Ring Ouzel!

    It's interesting that you have seen a Red Kite. I have heard about a few sightings recently, so maybe one is hanging around the estuary - one was defintely seen on the beach at Thurstaston last week.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete