Monday 22 March 2010

Just Rewards

With heavy rain and strong south-westerly winds forecast for today, it was perhaps not the best day to go walking on Ruabon Moor, but it sure paid dividends!

Parking at World’s End a mate Frank and I began to prepare for the inevitable buffeting from the elements sheltered beneath the larch trees - that despite the dreadful weather held good numbers of Siskin and Crossbill calling as I tied my bootlaces.

Negotiating Offa’s Dyke path along the limestone ridge was akin to being in a wind tunnel, but three Wheatears – two males and a female - sheltering on the scree slopes was a pleasant surprise.

The ascent up the cliff face above Rock Farm and on to Ruabon Moor proper was torturous and birdless - as was the hack across Bryn-Adda flat - but just as we were about to enter the conifer forest at Newtown Mountian, three female Black Grouse were flushed from the heather.

At this point I was already cream-crackered, but after being fortified by a few slugs of hot Coffee we set off on the final leg – another section of open moor between the lodge next to Pant-glas reservoir and the starting point: World’s End.

Not before time, the conditions improved dramatically with bright sunshine and a brisk breeze proving to be the best antidote to exhaustion. Then, just as we reached the brow of the hill, I spotted a bird perched on the footpath. My bins were barely useable, but I could nevertheless just make out a male Ring Ouzel – superb!

Viewed in improving light and through freshly wiped lens’, the bird looked absolutely immaculate. It made me reflect on my own state – I had walked nine miles and looked like Keith Richards after the London Marathon; this bird had flown all the way from Africa and looked in mint condition!

Ruabon Moor 22.3.10

1 Ring Ouzel (male)
3 Black Grouse (female)
4 Wheatear

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment