Sunday 28 March 2010

One Flew Over The Collared Dove's Nest?

A sub-adult Spoonbill, a Little Ringed Plover, a handful of Spotted Redshanks, a few Ruffs and a good flock of Redshank were present at Inner Marsh Farm this evening, as were a small flock of unidentifiable hirundines – my first of the year - hawking insects over the wood.

With the water levels being high on the hide pool, it is definitely worth bringing a scope at the moment – especially if you want to identify the wading birds that have to reside almost exclusively on number one pool at present.

There were also reports on the Dee Estuary website of a Cuckoo today too – reportedly calling from a wood. Now, call me Mr Sceptical, but surely this a case of mistaken identity? Far too early for one of our last spring arrivals and a Cuckoo is unlikely to be calling from a wood, given that they prefer singing from open areas.

As Michael Howard once rather creepily said “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” If you are thinking what I’m thinking, then you’re thinking Collared Dove. Still, as John Boswell’s oft repeated piece of sound advice goes “The birds don’t always read the books” (expletives edited out!), so maybe I am in for a large slice of Humble Pie – preferably a warm slice with a large blob of mascarpone!

It is interesting to read that a Lesser Kestrel has turned up in Norfolk today. I suppose with the sustained moderate southerly winds over the last week, it is no surprise that a few more unusual birds have overshot their breeding grounds. I am very fond of this exquisite little Falcon, having wonderful memories of watching them hunting from the roof of my hotel in Fez – quite possibly the world’s greatest city – after the king of them all: the clamorous and charismatic Bombay.

Inner Marsh Farm 28.3.10

1 Spoonbill
6 Spotted Redshank
3 Ruff
1 Little Ringed Plover

Until later.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I've personally never recorded a Cuckoo earlier than the middle of April,but there's alot of strange things going on out there at the moment,
    and I totally agree with John's assessment that it's unwise to believe everything you read in the books.
    I also think that despite the tremendous progress that has been made to try and understand Bird Migration,we still haven't got a clue what's really happening out there,and to add one of my own cliche's to the mix,"It will be a 100 years from now that we'll find out just how little we know today",holds alot of truth in it as well.
    I also think that the unpresidented cold winter we've just had,which saw birds making Movements of almost "Biblical Proportions" right across Europe,will probably have had an effect worldwide,and as I said,"there's alot of strange things happening out there at the moment".
    In short,do I believe the person who reported the "Early Cuckoo"............YES!!!

    PS -
    Isn't that a beautiful photo that one of your other contributors to this quite superb "Blog" of yours has taken on the Front Page of the Dee Estuary Birding Website......The Chiffchaff,by a Mr Ash Cohen - I think the composition of the photo,and the totally natural pose of the bird that he's caught is outstanding.......WELL DONE SIR!!!

    SHOTTON POOLS NATURE RESERVE - THE PATCH

    70 SPECIES RECORDED IN 2010
    LATEST ADDITIONS:
    LINNET
    COMMON SNIPE
    WHEATEAR
    WHITE WAGTAIL

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Denzil :D With comments like that I'll be getting a big head though! I'm glad my efforts are liked though, I'll be trying as often as I can to improve on my chiffchaff pictures. I did get one recently I was a little more fond of ( can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/15863412@N00/4468583696/)

    Also if you'd like to follow my pictures and sightings in Flintshire and around just keep watch on my flickr, I tend to use picture descriptions as a mini blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    FYI

    I had a Cuckoo a few years ago on the 1st April
    @ Inner Marsh Farm.
    No it was not an April fool.

    Regards,

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some outriding Cuckoos are more common early returnees than I thought!

    The earliest I have recorded one is the 24th of April, last year at Frodsham - seems one of the last reliable sites in Cheshire now for Cuckoo..

    Interesting to note that the sighting from IMF has now been taken down though.

    I had a little look at Connah's Quay over lunchtime, nothing too surprising; good numbers of Godwits and Oysties, plus 3 Greenshank on the bunded pools.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete