Thursday 4 March 2010

Lady Gaga-ney


With my efforts over the last few days firmly focused on putting a roof over my head, there has not been much time for birding, but nonetheless I have managed to fit in a couple of sorties down to Burton Marsh over the past two evenings.

The large flashes off Denhall Lane created by the residual water left over from the high spring tides have certainly attracted large numbers of birds and birders alike, with the major attraction being three early Garganey.

The two drakes and the duck have by no means been easy to locate, especially when looking for the birds at dusk directly into the sunlight. Fortunately on Wednesday evening I managed to locate one bird on a flash behind the Decca Pools in the period between the sun sinking below Halkyn mountain and it going completely dark.

Garganey are fabulous birds to see at any time, but three this early in the year is certainly unusual. This coupled with a quartet of commuting Avocet present yesterday – but seemingly gone today – is sure evidence that the some migrants have taken the recent spring sunshine as a cue to get on the move.

Whilst the waterfowl are enjoying kicking it on the flooded marshes, the birds that feed on the small mammal population seem to have had to cast their nets over a wider area. Shorties have been hunting over surrounding rough grassland since the last spring tides and now the Hen Harriers too appear to be seeking refuge around the drier areas of IMF.

With great weather fforecast or the new few days, there is no better time to try and seek out one of our most elusive raptors – the Goshawk. I’m sure many of you will have your own favoured spots. The site I favour has brought home the bacon each of the last three years and, inshallah, it will be four on the bounce come Saturday!

Until later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi hows it going lately? Not been in touch for a while but kept up with reading your blog. Some good sightings you've had too. You've sparked my interest by saying Goshawk! any chance you could let me know where you see them? email me if u want it kept private but I understand if you don't want to say. not to sound cheeky but If your heading into wales I'm free Saturday I'd love to see a goshawk, I'd pay towards the petrol, I just wouldn't know where to start looking on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul
    That's got to be the greatest "Heading" for a post of all time,'Lady GaGa'ney,you must have been awake for 24 hours a day,days on end,thinking of that one.
    Now I've stopped laughing,they're a great bird to have on your list so early in the year,I've not been able to get near one yet.
    I did a 'Stint' at Shotton Pools today,and had exactly the same problem with the sun when I was checking the Estuary out,it's amazing the difference it makes to colour,with just about every bird you look at on the water looking just,"Black"..... Full Stop!!!
    A pretty quiet day really,with 40 Species recorded on the day,and nothing exciting to report at all.

    SHOTTON POOLS NATURE RESERVE -04-03-2010.
    Oystercatcher 2
    Sparrowhawk(Male) 1
    Red Legged Partridge 1
    Goosander(Male) 1
    Great Spotted Woodpecker 1
    Reed Bunting 5
    Goldeneye 9
    Tufted Duck 17
    Shoveler 2
    Stonechat(Female) 1......"At Last".

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete