Sunday 31 October 2010

Oriental Express

Whilst most sane individuals snoozed away the ‘extra’ hour in glorious slumber, I – courtesy of a dawn alarm call from my neighbouring Little Owl – was down at the Point of Ayr early doors for a visible migration watch.

Birds were moving through – almost exclusively finches – but it was a steady flow more than a torrent, so after things had tailed off after an hour or so I moved over to the Old Colliery site.

A group of thirty Siskins were feeding on the alders next to the hide path, but otherwise things were spookily quiet.

However, the still autumnal morning air was soon pierced by a very familiar racket and I looked up to see the profile of a Rose-ringed Parakeet shooting across the BHP works.

In India, they are one of the most common birds and the number I have seen is probably approaching a googleplex, but this was a first in the UK for me!

An introduced species, I know, but an unexpected addition to my Flintshire list this year nonetheless. I can’t say that I am overjoyed that they are establishing themselves in Blighty – I am a bit of a hardliner when it comes to non-native species and I would probably favour their removal.

Local Little Owl take note – especially if you continue to wake me up too early!

Vis Mig Talacre Dunes 31.10.10 – 07.05am to 08.00am

Chaffinch 259
Siskin 22
Greenfinch 12
Brambling 3
Goldfinch 3
Linnet 12
Bullfinch 2
Woodpigeon 6
Meadow Pipit 6
Fieldfare 1

Old Colliery Site

Rose-ringed Parakeet 1
Siskin 35
Merlin 1
Snipe 1
Little Grebe 3

Until later.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    To be honest with you,I always find the Old Colliery Site to be very quiet.
    But I think that because of it's location,and the fact that it is very undisturbed that it will continually turn up very unusual birds.
    The Lapland Buntings and the Rose ringed Parakeet being good examples of this over the last couple of weeks.
    Where was the Merlin?

    SHOTTON POOLS NATURE RESERVE
    'THE PATCH'
    122 SPECIES RECORDED IN 2010
    LATEST ADDITIONS - 01-11-2010
    ROCK PIPIT,WHOOPER SWAN,SISKIN,JACK SNIPE


    01-11-2010
    58 SPECIES RECORDED

    KINGFISHER 1
    LONG TAILED TIT 16
    PIED WAGTAIL 12
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 1
    KESTREL 3
    REED BUNTING 9
    GADWALL 34
    COOT 19
    COMMON SNIPE 23
    MALLARD 14
    TUFTED DUCK 14
    COMMON TEAL 16
    POCHARD 10
    LITTLE GREBE 4
    GOLDENEYE 3
    SHOVELER 2
    SPARROWHAWK 1
    PEREGRINE FALCON 1
    MISTLE THRUSH 2
    LITTLE EGRET 2
    GREENSHANK 3
    KNOT 2
    WHOOPER SWAN - FLY OVERS - 22
    LINNET 48
    WIGEON 87
    LESSER REDPOLL 12
    SISKIN 2
    ROCK PIPIT 1
    JACK SNIPE 1

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denzil, the Merlin - a jack - was flying along the seawall as I was walking to the left of the scrap yard.

    I think you're right about something good turning up soon - only a matter of time I think.

    Sticking my neck out, I predict one or more of these by the end of next year - hopefully!

    1 Black Redstart
    2 Water Pipit
    3 Black Tern
    4 Grey Phalarope
    5 Great White Egret
    6 Slavonian Grebe
    7 Black-necked Grebe

    Btw, where was the Jack Snipe at Shotton - a much sought after Flintshire Tick...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul

    I regularly do 'First Light' patrols of the Reserve because I've found out that there are a tremendous variety of birds that roost in and around the extensive reedbeds there.
    What I did was arrive on the Reserve at about 6.30am,and then sit on the bench outside the Hut,and watch as the various species start to move around at 'First Light' and as is very often the case,there were a lot of Snipes roosting at the far end of the Pool that is directly behind the Ringing Hut.
    The Jack Snipe was with them,but crouched down on it's own about 5 yards away from the main group of Common Snipe.
    Talking of much sought after 'Ticks' believe it or not,I'm still waiting for both Nuthatch and Coal Tit at Shotton so far this year,and this despite the fact that there are numerous Feeding Stations around the Reserve that I watch actively on all my visits there.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete