Friday 14 May 2010

Cuckoo Clocked

I couldn’t remember the last time I had been to Neumann’s Flash, or indeed why I didn’t go there more often, so late this morning I decided to head over to Northwich.

The Fuzz had closed the road after Kelsall, so a diversion was necessary through Frodsham – the area soon to host England’s largest on shore wind farm. Nice.

Puzzlingly, Frodsham has won both the best large village and small town awards in England, with the former awarded after the latter. What did they do, knock some houses down? Cheats.

After getting back on track, more delays were endured navigating through Northwich town centre and I was reminded why I so seldom come here: chronic congestion and an infestation of traffic lights to boot.

Crawling through the middle, I was fantasising about the empty and free flowing roads of Andulucia and the plethora of other benefits to living in Spain. Just as I was about to conclude that this country is finished, a loud hoot from behind jarred me back to reality.

When I finally reached the flash, my mood was elevated considerably when I heard the glorious song of a Cuckoo. With Frodsham, IMF and Gowy CWT miss-firing badly on the Cuckoo front, it was good to eventually catch up with my first in Cheshire.

I soon tracked it down between the flash and Hayden’s Pool where it sat for a good five minutes banging out its familiar refrain, before eventually deciding to vamonos.

A quick check of the pool revealed a Little Ringed Plover, plus a ridiculously cute Oystie chick and parents hiding in vegetation at the back.

My route back to the flash was flanked with at least ten Common Whitethroats, a bird that seems to be absolutely everywhere this spring – as do other species of commoner warblers too.

Neumann’s was quiet, with the mega wader I had convinced myself was going to be present today managing to evade me. Two more LRPs were the best I could muster, but the Baird’s Sandpiper was being elusive.

Nuemann’s Flash 14.05.10

3 Little Ringed Plover
4 Bullfinch
1 Cuckoo
1 Goldcrest
10+ Common Whitethoat

Until later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I have'nt been out much over the last few days,but a wander around Chester for some more "Urban Birding",yet again produced the goods,and a visit to the Little Orme last week,was as excellent as ever,and I at last managed my first Cuckoo for this year up on the Peak of the Little Orme.



    CHESTER "CITY ONLY"
    58 SPECIES RECORDED
    89 SPECIES RECORDED IN 2010
    LATEST ADDITIONS - LAPWING,WHINCHAT,SEDGE WARBLER,REED WARBLER.( ALL ON CHESTER MEADOWS )
    MANDARIN DUCK ( THE WEIR )

    CHAFFINCH c20
    HOUSE SPARROW c100
    COMMON WHITETHROAT 14
    BLACKCAP 9
    CHIFFCHAFF 12
    JAY 3
    SWIFT 10
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 2
    LINNET 4
    MOORHEN 6
    COAL TIT 3
    SPARROWHAWK - MALE 1
    MANDARIN DUCK - MALE - FEMALE 2
    REED BUNTING 7
    MEADOW PIPIT 2
    GARDEN WARBLER 2
    REED WAEBLER 5
    LAPWING 2
    SEDGE WARBLER 3
    WILLOW WARBLER 1
    WHINCHAT - MALE 1
    GOLDCREST 1
    TREECREEPER 1
    NUTHATCH 1
    KESTREL - FEMALE 1

    LITTLE ORME
    46 SPECIES RECORDED

    CHIFFCHAFF 1
    COAL TIT 2
    GARDEN WARBLER 1
    BLACKCAP 3
    SWALLOW 10
    SWIFT 6
    MEADOW PIPIT 1
    PEREGRINE - MALE 1
    KITTIWAKE c100
    RAZORBILL c150
    RAVEN 5
    FULMAR 15
    RED THROATED DIVER 2
    SANDWICH TERN 4
    CUCKOO 1
    WHEATEAR - MALE - FEMALE 2
    HOUSE MARTIN 1
    KESTREL - MALE 1
    STONECHAT - MALE 1
    COMMON WHITETHROAT 3
    SHAG c20
    ROCK PIPIT 2
    HOUSE SPARROW 12

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul

    A visit to one of my favourite little Reserves today to search for another Cuckoo,paid handsome dividends,but more importantly provided another very enjoyable day's Birding.
    I also took a long walk out towards Acton Bridge,
    by following the course of the River,and stopping at various Pools along the way.

    HATTONS HEY NR
    54 SPECIES RECORDED
    76 SPECIES RECORDED AT SITE SO FAR

    HOUSE SPARROW c10
    LINNET 2
    JAY 2
    KESTREL - FEMALE 1
    YELLOWHAMMER 2
    SWALLOW 10
    MISTLE THRUSH 3
    CHIFFCHAFF 7
    COMMON WHITETHROAT 5
    BLACKCAP 8
    COMMON BUZZARD 5
    GADWALL 2
    MOORHEN 5
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 2
    TREECREEPER 1
    WILLOW WARBLER 4
    REED BUNTING 7
    REED WARBLER 16
    GOLDCREST 5
    LITTLE GREBE 2
    MANDARIN DUCK - MALE 1
    SEDGE WARBLER 10
    LONG TAILED TIT 17
    CUCKOO - MALE 1
    SHELDUCK 1
    SKYLARK 2
    NUTHATCH 1
    HOUSE MARTIN 2
    COAL TIT 1

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete