Wednesday 5 May 2010

A Good Tern

They are hyperactive, noisy and quarrelsome and migrate to Gronant each spring to spend a few months squabbling amongst themselves whilst packed tightly together in fenced off compounds in order to keep them and the general public at arm’s length.

They are, of course, the scousers who flock to Presthaven Sands at this time of year in their hundreds: but there are more refined summer visitors to this area too – the Little Terns of Gronant beech.

One of my favourite birding days out is visiting this wonderful colony in June when it is in full swing. The Common Tern site at Shotton NR may be bigger in number, but what the Little Terns lack in bodies, they more than make up for in personality and charisma.

Credit must go to Denbighshire CC for funding this project that has enjoyed tremendous success over the years when it would have been easier lo let the Little Terns to have be ousted by beech balls, staffies, quad bikes and barbeques.

There is however, an issue I would like to raise regarding this project. I have not volunteered at this initiative for a few years, because in the two years I did donate my time, I found the organisation of the volunteer roster to be woeful.

Living in Chester I needed to make a return trip of ninety minutes to Gronant, costing around seven to eight pounds in petrol. Often when I arrived, one, two or even three other volunteers would sometimes be there too - effectively meaning that I had totally wasted my time. I found this infuriating.

I don’t know if this has improved over the last couple of years, but my experiences in 2006 and 2007 really put me off.

When I have enquired as to why this has been allowed to happen, the response is that “...we don’t want to dictate to people when they turn up…”

Imagine if the people who organised the Peregrine nest monitoring at Beeston adopted this approach – they wouldn’t stand a chance!

Until a few days later.

2 comments:

  1. In reference to "On a disturbing note, Flintshire Council had placed a notice about a “POISIONING INSIDENT” (sic) in the woods that had led to a fatality. Reading between the lines I inferred that some poor mutt must have eaten some laced meat. I’m not sure what’s more worriying: learning that this sort of sickening and reprehensible activity still goes on, or that somebody working in a reasonable position of authority has such piss-poor spelling."

    Thanks for your graceless comment, it was my dog that was killed. I'm dyslexic so my spelling is not great at the best of times, but in my agitated state and haste to prevent a second tragedy I did not press the spell check! By the way you spelt worrying wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. My comments indeed; but there seems to be a few suspicious elements to this post...

    If I am wrong, then feel happy to e-mail me from your Flintshire CC email address and I will be more than happy to apologise for any offence caused.

    Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete