Tuesday 25 May 2010

Eyes Wide Shut

The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men didn’t half gang aft agley this afternoon when a plan to head over to Woolston Eyes with SS was subject to severe delay following an unplanned excursion to Leasowe for a Bluethroat.

The bird – a female I believe – was fairly confiding, nipping in, out, behind and around some Iris’ in a ditch with some regularity.

Then, however, the heavy artillery started to arrive - one bloke had a shutter so loud that I’m sure it could be employed blasting quarries in North Wales.

Next the inevitable happened and four people decided that they were just not quite close enough and decided to move much nearer to the bird by planting themselves on the opposite side of the bridge.

It is impossible to say definitively of course – and I may be being a little unfair – but after the four photographers had relocated themselves the bird didn’t show for the next half an hour I was there.

If I am ever fortunate enough to find a bird of this calibre, them I’m afraid I shall probably commit the heretical birding act of suppression and only tell people I know well and can trust.

On the up side, Stan and I did eventually manage a couple of hours at Woolston Eyes. It was my debut visit and I was mightily impressed – superb habitat with excellent viewing facilities too, including a fantastic new hide.

At least six Black-necked Grebes present, and a good a variety of wildfowl for late May including good numbers of Pochard and excellent numbers of Gadwall.

Laudably, lots of hard work, initiative, and a willingness to experiment are being deployed in an effort to create a variety of different habitats at Woolston, including some wonderful wild flower meadows and a sacrificial winter crop.

This reinforces my belief that the most dynamic and resourceful conservation organisations are the small and local ones. Free from the bureaucracy, they can formulate a plan and enact upon it much more swiftly than some of the larger conservation bodies that appear cumbersome by contrast.

Until later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul

    Enough said,
    And of course you already know what my reply is,...............THE WELFARE OF THE BIRDS MUST ALWAYS COME FIRST!!!
    I've personally only ever attended 1 "Twitch" in my life,and that was for the Long Billed Dowitchers at IMF last year,and I thought the way that the RSPB handled it was a credit to everyone envolved,but I actually think that everything the RSPB do,they do properly,so it really didn't surprise me that it was such a pleasure to attend that particular "Twitch".
    I really hope that yourself and SS got the views that you hoped for,because it's certainly a super bird to get the chance to see.
    I've heard alot of very good reports about Woolston Eyes,and have often considered getting myself a Permit,but thus far haven't bothered.

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete