Thursday 27 May 2010

Event Horizon

A handful of Little Terns, and a distant and unidentifiable Skua was all there was to amuse me whilst seawatching at the Point of Ayr this morning and I was about to pack it in when I caught site of a very large bird circling high above the wind turbines a couple of miles out to sea.

After eventually training my scope on the bird my initial impression was of a very big raptor. It was difficult due to the heat haze and the distance to make out much detail, but I watched it for a good ten minutes as it repeatedly soared, drifted and then soared again towards the Lancashire coast.

I could, however, just make out the large broad wings when the bird banked, and my general impression was of a dark silhouette of large Eagle. I quickly ruled out a large Gull due to the flight style and the lack of a protruding neck and head seemed to eliminate a Crane or a Stork, but again, the jizz of the bird didn’t seem right for these species either.

Definitely a very interesting bird, although I’m not going to get to carried away speculating on the identification of a bird from the best part of two miles away – tantalisingly close nevertheless…It will certainly be interesting if anything of this ilk is picked-up nearby by somebody else today, but as I have just gathered most eyes will be trained on a White-tailed Lapwing at Seaforth!

Point of Ayr 27.5.10

1 Eagle (sp)?
7 Little Tern
1 Guillemot
1 Skua (sp).

Until later.

4 comments:

  1. A couple of late evenings at IMF over the last two days has produced my first live Badger since I was about five!!

    Also:

    Cuckoo 1
    Avocet 2 - looks like another nest attempt..
    Yellow Wagtail 3
    Water Rail 1
    Plus, plenty of Blacwits...and a couple of Dunlin.

    Until later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul
    Did the Badgers take the Avocet eggs a couple of years ago. were they up to no good again?

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,

    A badger is reckoned to have taken all the BH Gull and Avocet eggs last year and it looks to have pulled off the same trick this year too with the BH Gulls and Oystercatchers.

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a lot more people need to read this, very good info!
    domino 99

    ReplyDelete