Monday 3 May 2010

Under-watched, Under-rated and Under my nose!

A good couple of hours this morning at Shotton NR was extended into an excellent full day’s exploration of the site after I finally bumped into Mr Nicklin!

I am guilty of criminally overlooking this area in the past after driving past the pools on countless occasions when heading to do my WeBS count over at White Sands.

Credit to Denzil, whom after surviving interrogation by Corus Security staff similar to techniques used by the CIA to break Al-Qaida suspects was eventually granted permission to use the reserve as has been birding it regularly this year.

As per usual, there were plenty of warblers singing around the ringing hut including Reed and Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.

Fancying a stroll, I headed up the river to White Sands area where to my delight I found two Small Coppers on the rivetment (only my second and third ever), plus a hunting female Sparrowhawk.

There was just time to do a little more construction on Flintshire’s next bird hide, before I returned back to the pools that had gained another visitor!

With a new guide, a stroll along another area of the steelworks next to the River Dee was yet another new area for me and yet another stretch of excellent habitat.

If there was any confirmation needed of the quality of the environment here, then the appearance of my first ever Dingy Skipper basking on the ground was it – a superb afternoon.

Perhaps the only negative aspect of the day was the complete absence of any Common Terns. I picked-up six a few days ago and half expected more of the colony to have returned. Not a sausage all day today and after the total failure last year, it is a little worrying…

Shotton NR/White Sands 03.05.10

Sparrowhawk 1
Whimbrel 1+
Wheatear 1 (Greenland race)
Plus six species of warbler.

Butterflies

Dingy Skipper 1
Small Copper 2
Green-veined White
Peacock
Small White

Until later.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul
    Very envious of your Grizzled Skipper thats one butterfly i have not seen. I am quite surprised though you have not seen more small coppers. They are but very distinctive & not as rare as the skipper. Nice photo of the skipper too.
    A Whinchat was on the marsh below the Handbridge allotments today taking my yearly Chester meadows list to 91. Still missing a few daft ones such as Grey Wagtail & Goldcrest.I have not seen a Grey Wagtail on the the Dee in Chester since the cold snap. They usually nest around the Old Dee Bridge. Have you seen any Denzil?
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    I have only really started looking at butterflies & dragonflies since the back end of last summer and just managed to catch up with one Small Copper at Newborough.

    One the subject of Grey Wagtails, I have only seen one bird up on the welsh uplands this spring at Gwytherin - I would usually expect to see at least four or five pairs by now...

    Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy

    My last Grey Wagtail was recorded on 21-02-2010,by the Dee Bridge in Handbridge,and unfortunately,exactly the same as yourself,I've not had one since.
    On the subject of Goldcrests,there are plenty of them in Chester,but you really need to be in the right place,for example,Duke's Drive Woods,and the Cemetry at the bottom of Hough Green,just before the Dee Bridge.
    I'm very pleased to see that you've seen a Whinchat, because I have not seen one in Chester so far this year,and PLEASE tell me if you see any Spotted Flycatchers,because I'm genuinely concerned for the welfare of this charismatic little bird.

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul

    HAVE A GOOD ONE! ...........I'm not jealous..........MUCH!

    CHEERS DENZIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi denzil got a email addy it alan scoullar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    I know Alan,could you please let me know what he said.

    My email address is

    johnnicklin234&btinternet.com

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Sorry my email address should have read
    johnnicklin234@btinternet.com

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete