Thursday 21 October 2010

Heaven 17


I nipped over to Flint way just after lunch for a quick poke around Connah’s Quay and Cop Hole.

Arriving in the West Hide, I met up with Keith LJ whom informed me that I had just missed my 2672nd Mediterranean Gull this year – bugger.

A hopeful scan over the mudflats revealed good numbers of shorebirds still, plus increasing numbers of Wigeon and Pintail, but to my chagrin the Med had skedaddled.

With no news of the Barred Warbler – and in birding no news is bad news – I resigned myself to half an hour in the middle hide.

Not the numbers of waders of yesteryear, but eleven Spotted Redshanks were on show, including this active trio above – hardly a shot of Cohen vintage, but not bad for a mobile phone and ‘scope!

After twenty minutes, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to take a punt on the Barred Warbler over near the rifle range. En route I just had time to work through a group of waders roosting on the marsh and low and behold amongst the Redshank and Dunlin stood another six Spotted Redshanks – a record here for me!

But on to Cop Hole it was where yesterday’s finder of the Barred Warbler was in situ, but regrettably the warbler was not.

A really great find by Stan Skelton yesterday and I am doubly miffed that I couldn’t get over there to see it and that I had missed a great Flintshire bird – what an addition that would have been…

Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment