Sunday 24 October 2010

Tata For Now

“Bloody-cold this morning” I said to Ray Mears as he took a break from Arctic Survival training inside the West Hide at Connah’s Quay this morning.

Still, being ice-blasted from the biting wind at least took my mind of my aching joints. That and talking to Ray – freezing temperatures and a mega dose of pharmaceuticals can do strange things to you…

Good numbers of Dunnies and Teal out on the sand and mud flats before high tide, with a larger serving of Oystercatchers and Blackwits over towards Flint Castle.

Nothing out of the ordinary however, so after bidding farewell to everybody’s favourite survival expert it was over to the relatively toasty Middle Hide.

More waders here, including over a hundred K-not, Dunlin, Redshank, plus fifteen Spotted Redshank and three Greenshank.


For afters it was over to Shotton Pools Nature Reserve over at Corus, or should that now be the Tata Shotton Works Nature Reserve? I wonder if the name change was greeted with a chorus of boos? (I should be shot for that one).

I must admit that seeing the ‘Tata’ logo in the United Kingdom a little unnerving; having spent long periods in India, I used to the ubiquitous brand appearing on practically everything, but it seems more that a little odd back in Blighty.

As Denzil has noted, much work has been done down here over the last two months – not much of it sympathetic to the avian inhabitants - I imagine the Cetti’s Warblers may be applying for housing benefit this winter.

Good birds around today though, with a Kingfisher (above, pictured from the Space Station) a nice surprise; even more surprising was that it appeared to have caught an actual fish from the cooling pools.

Two Green Sandpipers were also on the manor, plus a Snipe and the first Goldeneye I have seen this winter.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Until later.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I'm glad you nipped over to SPNR.
    The Goldeneye's there were the first ones that I've seen so far this Winter as well,and also the flock of Redwings that were there 2 weeks ago,are the only ones that I've seen too.
    I'm hoping that it won't be long before they finish all the work there,so that the Reserve can settle down again,and then maybe some of the birds will return again,although I'm not holding my breath.
    I took a trip to Ffynnongroyw today to 'Work The Patch' and there were a lot of birds about to say the least,most notably very good numbers of Oystercatchers and Black Tailed Godwits.
    I've hung up another Feeder in Coed Y Garth Wood on the same tree as the Nut Feeder,but the new one is full of a Woodland Seed Mix,so hopefully this will now attract a greater variety of birds.

    FFYNNONGROYW
    24-10-2010
    54 SPECIES RECORDED
    74 SPECIES RECORDED TO DATE
    LATEST ADDITIONS - RAVEN,PINTAIL,GREY PLOVER.

    OYSTERCATCHER c5000
    BLACK TAILED GODWIT c5000
    SHELDUCK c3000
    REDSHANK c3000
    KNOT c300
    COMMON TEAL c200
    WIGEON c100
    PINTAIL c100
    COMMON SNIPE 34
    LINNET 22
    MISTLE THRUSH 11
    SKYLARK 11
    GREY PLOVER 4
    LITTLE GREBE 3

    FEEDING STATION

    GREAT TIT 3
    BLUE TIT 3
    NUTHATCH 2
    COAL TIT 2
    MARSH TIT 1

    OTHER BIRDS

    JACKDAW c100
    CHAFFINCH c50
    LONG TAILED TIT 26
    TREECREPER 3
    RAVEN 2
    GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER 1
    KESTREL 1
    COMMON BUZZARD 1

    Cheers Denzil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul

    Id keep off the funny stuff - it makes you believe your with Ray Mears!!!!!!!!!!!

    Keith D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seen your feeder Denzil when I was walking through there with my Girlfriend, she lives just by the woods. Should have guessed really :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Badger Poisoning in Garth Wood. Ash/Denzil, I have informed somebody from the Badger Trust about the illegal poisoning at Garth Wood. He has assured me that they will contact the police and try and find out what is going on...

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete